Monday, April 18, 2011

Chapter 2

Alright chicas moving on to chapter numero dos (2 for those of you who do not speak mangled spanish).

4 comments:

  1. OMG sooo good.

    The heaven thhat we see in the media and that mainstream christianity puts forth is just strange when you think of it. This idea that we are working to be good so that we get to live a life that looks nothing like this worls seems so strange. Who wakes up in the morning and says I wish that I was playing a harp (except a harpist). Doesn't make more sense that heaven will have all of the things that we love from this world, except better and not broken? (side note: when I was thinking of this I thought I love reading, I will be able to read and all of the the best books I could ever imagine. And then I realized that I don't even know what that would look like. Most of the best books I know are full of human brokeness and redemption. Will books be as good without that? I am trusting that they will be.) I mean why would anyone be satisfied with just sitting around a cloud. Our world even with all its crap and baggage is way more interesting than that. Why would God skimp on heaven?

    I also like this idea of the bringing the future into the present. He uses the example of working toawards everyone having clean water. That is the future being dragged into the present. We are partcipating in the ushering in the age to come.

    I just love it. More later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! I totally agree Rhys! Heaven an all-day church service with harps, wearing a dress...with NYLONS? More like Hell. But sipping on and IPA, with friends you love, listening to a live band while "some girl" requests "Freebird?" Now we're talking...

    I started rereading chapter 2 last night around 8:30 (because I had been reading it a week ago, but put it down in the middle. So I wanted to take in everything again, fresh.) and I just couldn't keep my eyes open. I must have fallen into a deep sleep around 9:30p only to wake up sometime are 4am, wide awake and thinking about God and Love and Life (I like to interchange those words for God, anyways.)

    I snickered when I read his questioning of Heaven being like Beverly Hills in the sky. Because that's L.A. And just from being here for 4 months, I've noticed how easy it is to get caught up in all the glam. People can barely pay rent, but they're driving the newest BMW around because of the status it will bring them. And it breaks my heart. And as I too am looking into a car purchase soon, I find myself fighting this idea that I need to get something stylish, sweet looking, so I will look good driving it. Ugh. Get outta my head, thoughts! Focus! Engage in humanity, not materialism!

    And I also took to heart what Rob said about heaven being confrontational. Like flames. I remember a while ago, probably during one of my many heartache moments, leaving church with tear-stained cheeks and thinking, "I want to be able to cry everytime I go to church." And what I meant was, I want to be in that place where I'm in the present, changing, growing, feeling this God thing, and honestly confronting myself. The intensity definition of aion, if you will. If (or when) my life is static, it very much feels like I'm dead. When I'm face down, sobbing into the carpet, wondering how I'm supposed to forgive exs who've been a pain in my life, well, that's a very good place to start and very good place to meet God. "Justice and mercy hold hands, they kiss, they belong together in that age to come..." Did you know there's peace lingering between carpet fibers?
    I remember very vividly Jon (Rhys, your Jon) saying "God walks into a room, and judgment happens." And that changed forever how I view that word and heaven.

    Mmm, the future being dragged into the present.

    "Heaven is both the peace, stillness, serenity, and calm that come from having everything in its right place-that state in which nothing is required, needed, or missing-and the endless joy that comes from participating in the ongoing creation of the world."

    I feel like I've been rambley, but oh well. Love you guys much! I'll probably have more to write later :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I am!! I love you ladies and I will join in the blogging tomorrow! (It's hard to type via phone). Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Andrea!!!! Welcome! You've been dearly missed on here :) can't wait to hear/read your words, lovely!

    ReplyDelete